M.E.A.L. (care and feeding the m4)

M - undamaged quality Magazine.
E - good Extractor and spring.
A - quality Ammunition.
L - proper Lubrication, attention to the two gas ports on the side of the bolt carrier.

Quite a few common issues with this platform can be traced back to the operator not following one or more of those four recommended guidelines.

Have a hard time finding any good thoughts from running a volume of 5.56 steel case ammo through an m4, unless my goal was to reduce barrel life and to speed up the time it takes to screw up a gun. I see nothing but BAD, and I do not see how it is even remotely thought of as being quality ammo.

The steel case ammo wears things out at least twice as fast, plus its issues are exacerbated when run hot. Every test I've seen had quality ammo, such as FED, running 10,000 rounds with few issues and barrels retaining good accuracy, with the steel having numerous issues with barrels completely shot out and crap before 6,000 rounds. I've heard the argument of the money saved off-sets the resulting increase in reliability headaches, the increase in cleaning efforts, the increase in barrel replacements, and the increase in chances of major mishap, but I just do not see its use as being a wise choice. That stuff is junk.

I guess if you are running a dirt cheap ar15 for pure fun, and you get joy out of cranking through a ton of ammo, just 'cause, w/ no regard towards maintaining a highly dependable and reliable rifle for any sort of self defense....then burn it up and tear it down, it doesn't really matter. But, I hate the thought of running that crap through a decent carbine that I'd like to keep running well for a long time.

Good deals on better ammo can be found.

�I've never met a genius. A genius to me is someone who does well at something he hates. Anybody can do well at something he loves -- it's just a question of finding the subject.�

- Clint Eastwood