I have both a Pre 64 Model 70 7mm in the 20" carbine and a Model 54 in the normal 24" late model rifle. Some thoughts re your question. First to echo the sentiment that the rarer 'Pre's' are too often highly "non-authentic nowadays. That doesn't equate directly to forgery. Over decades, innocent parts swaps and the like probably have more of these rifles non-original than intentional fraudulent actions. But the result in acquiring one such can be just the same. Moving into the really rare versions, regarding forgeries, the question becoming whether the effort justifies the illicit reward. There are certainly some artisans who can produce such. Short of scientific analysis, one can sometimes not be sure. Yet, for most, decent knowledge to be found in such as Roger Rules seminal book, a great roadmap. That source often to undo the 'slap-dash' counterfeiter.
Respecting the Prewar Model 70, the front sight was forged integral with the barrel. Through all factory original production extending postwar, those early barrels were utilized. While possible for a 'non-production one-off item or such, possibly other rules. BUT for any of those principally prewar chamberings not regularly cataloged postwar, they will be found with the left over prewar barrels. So rule one, if not an forged integral barrel, consider it a fake. Then too, have a look at the actual nomenclature, particualarly chambering stamp. Compare to the photos in the Rule book.
Early 70 stocks were of a prewar pattern in the tang area. Expect to find commensurate era stocks. If not, likely a mixed era action/barrel/stock.
And re mix and match, a lot of that common and much formerly, innocent. Several decades ago, I purchased a well worn 257 Roberts prewar carbine cheap. The receiver was swiss cheesed with sight mount holes. Had a gunsmith mate the barrel to a decently used prewar action/stock then in 30-06. Swapped over all components from the carbine. Kiss of a chambering reamer and presto, a decent vintage looking carbine. No one to this day to tell it wasn't factory. My intent not any kind of fraud. After a few years, traded it for a pittance. Wish I hadn't!
The point, know what you're buying. If you just walk into a 'deal' without research time. Just do so understanding you're at a disadvantage. Absent a garage sale, that seller presumably with all time necessary to know what he's selling.
In the ordinary plain Jane 270 or 30-06, not too much worry beyond what with reasonable knowledge you can see. When playing against advanced collectors/dealers, stick with reputable. I learned a lot from Winchester men at gunshows with tables full. Just picking their brain.
Well, Winchester 100A lecture finished. Approach that 7mm with considerable caution. Good luck and...
My take