Originally Posted by rost495
Originally Posted by gunner500
The 500 Smith would be too big and unwieldy for me, I practice shooting weak side and one handed in the event my strong side or, one hand/arm was injured.

A good S&W 629 DA revolver with a 4 or 5 inch barrel firing 240 gr XTP's at an easily controlled 1200 fps or so would be my choice.
'
I would not personally pick XTP over a hard cast due to penetration issues. Just me personally.

Like XTPs on deer though. Very much.

I have absolutely no experience with big bears but have used the 240 gr XTP's over 150 grs of P pyrodex back in the day in an old Knight MK-85 muzzle loader, must have been pushing that bullet to over 2K.

It knocked some really nice big and deep odd shot angle holes in a lot of deer and pigs, only remember recovering one or two at most, figured at a more sedate 1200 from a revolver would allow it to retain more of it's integrity, enough I'd hope, to at least turn or kill a bear.

A heavy WFNGC cast bullet would surely penetrate more, just hoping it would impart enough trauma/pain to convince the bear to go elsewhere and let go of my face. grin

Trump Won!