Originally Posted by lynntelk
Originally Posted by winchester70
Originally Posted by lynntelk
The person I spoke with had to go to several different sources on the numbers I gave to find the answer.
A completely competent and reliable "person" in modern world customer service looking up dates of manufacture for rifles made by a different company 25 years ago, I'm sure.

There are voids in Winchester Classic serial numbers and they are not sequentially numbered. WRONG

To my knowledge the Winchester Customer Service was/is the only place to get answers to the DOM of the Classic Model 70. If you have a better source, I and I'm sure others, would be interested in this information. Based on the information I was given, the 25 years ago statement just turned into 27 years as the customer rep stated first year production began in 1990. When the person I was talking with was looking up the DOM information for the serial numbers I requested, he stated they had some DOM information in a "book" the other numbers he was able to access on his computer. I believe the early DOM dates he accessed were from the "book". The 1994 and later numbers I believe he accessed from his computer. It would seem to be an easy fix if they would enter all serial number and DOM into a single data base, but evidently, this is not the case. This same individual mentioned the "voids" in the numbering.

I'm sure they try to make callers happy by giving them some "information" and a date. But I question their knowledge on the subject. I believe the truth is, if the information existed it would be published somewhere by now.

My information comes from what I've held in my hands and seen with my eyes for the last 35 years, and there have been many more than I could ever count, combined with earlier known and published information.

There may have been some gray area with the Classics before G15000, with the early custom shop only/later custom shop CRF. But other than that, the progressions listed in my post above are real.