Most of the winter our streams consist of dry matter (ice), but with a little thaw and not much lift in flow the locals can find some pretty nice trout. A few streams like the Crooked have some fall spawners that come up from the lakes giving one a pleasant size surprise.

Technique of choice around here (east side) is to pretty much ignore the aerated pocket water that one takes on in the spring/summer/fall months, and move to the deepest pools that at least exhibit some slight flow. Although not my favorite method, strike indicators and tiny sinking midges (like 18-22's) can dredge up some big fish. It's sort of like watching chrome rust as one's indicator floats through or around a pool, but the rewards are there. Not much in the way of aerial combat with low water temps, so small hooks can hold if one's not too aggressive at hauling them in.

On the west side coastal streams, I used to go after sea run cuts in late Feb/March/April using damned near anything one wanted to swing. Mostly across and down presentations with a floater line. My buddy would toss all kinds of Vegas showgirl patterns while I went to more traditional hare's ears, streamers with a little flash, and sculpin patterns. Despite the disparities, we each beached about the same numbers. Once in a while one gets surprised by a steelhead or two. Makes for a good time on trout gear.

And yes, the nearest fly shop will usually have some good info.

Tight lines and good luck,

Last edited by 1minute; 02/06/17.

1Minute