Originally Posted by saddlesore
Originally Posted by greentimber
Jump in with both feet and do it yourself. To hell with paying big money for someone to deny you the experience and learning that you'll get from DIY. Study and research starting now and go make it happen. It isn't that complicated when you get into it. Pick a unit, study your maps to find areas a mile from a road and go have a ball learning about elk hunting.

That will work.I have met a lot of guys that do that.Then when they walk up to an elk they start to try to figure out how to get it out. Th en ext thing you know,they are at my camp or another's asking to pack it out. SO if you choose this route, make recover a big part of your plan.

Not aimed at Greentimber,but a few years back down in Unit 54 there was a guy from TN that after successfully getting his elk,he put the meat in plastic garbage bags.Don't know if the meat was still warm or not, but when he went back to get it,it was spoiled.He told me when he opened the bags he almost puked. Again, know how to take care of you meat and figure out how to get it out

For sure. Plan for success! In fact, KNOW you're going to succeed and know that you won't accept failure. Do whatever it takes before during and after the kill.

RLTW