Anybody out therecross paths with the 25th Infantry Division, 4th Battalion of the 23rd Infantry Mechanized in '68-'69?

A buddy of mine wrote a book about his expereinces in Vietnam titled "Rolling Coffins", a tip of the cap to the lightly armored APCs he had in the 23rd Mech.

Over the years, he has casualy spoken about his experience there - and not in positive tones - but I never new the details. I just finished his book, and to say I was dumbfounded is an understandment.

First day in the field, his APC takes a hit from a short round, from 105mm or 155mm Howitzer. Everyone riding on the APC was killed expct for him, who was blown off, dazed from concussion and bleeding ears. Friendly fire. Being the NFG, they picked him up and made him walk the point (idiots).

To round it up, Brian was awarded 3 Purple Hearts, CIB, Silver Star and the DSC (our Nation's 2nd hghest honor). to say he was in the chit, is an understatement. I'm surprised he's basically a normal guy. His experience has made him glad to be alive, and he has been a go getter and very successful.

As e says, any day here beats being back in 'Nam. He does a really good job of summing up what he considers a major lack of leadership onthe ground in 'Nam. Draftees were sent to the field to serve under inexperienced Shanke and Bake NCO's and college boy LTs, while the professional NCOs and officers were assigned as House Cats at Base. The promotions went to the House Cats while grunt Companies in the field remained chronically undermanned and without at times ANY leadership.

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo