Ribka:

Only hunted RSA once for just under 2-months while taking the PH school and exams in 2011. This was in the Natal Province and I was able to do little sightseeing in the KZN area. This was after hunting and touring around Namibia for three separate trips before doing the PH school. They are different experiences. Not saying one is better than the other, they are just...different. Been making several trips a year to Namibia since PH school and have driven around a good portion of the country. Personally, I prefer Namibia.

In my opinion (and yes, I know everybody has one), the major difference is the majority of hunting in RSA is on high fenced properties - some as small as 500ha and some in the tens of thousands or hundreds of thousands of hectors. Namibia is still majority free-range, low fence with some 2500ha and larger high fence properties.

Not sure why, but driving around RSA as a tourist, I didn't feel as "safe" as we do in Namibia. Only way to describe it is I got a different "vibe" from the locals (blacks) in RSA than in Namibia. Wife and I spend several weeks a year renting a car and driving around Namibia every year either before or after hunting for a couple of weeks and I make several additional trips a year there too.

"Package Hunts" can be a very good deal but also can have some pitfalls. Make sure you fully understand the terms of the package ie. what happens if you decide to NOT shoot an animal in the package because it doesn't meet your standards. What about taking additional animals not included in your package. As a general "rule of thumb" a package will generally get you good "representative" size/quality animals within the species with the possibility of maybe getting a larger than average animal. You have to ask yourself, why would a PH put a client on a truly large specimen at a "package" price when they could sell that animal at a true "trophy" price in an "ala cart" hunt. Not intending to "cast aspersions" on all PH's/Outfitters but just pointing out the reality of business - and make no mistake, this is all business. If they are not making money, they don't stay in business.

An "ala carte" hunt is where you pay a set "daily rate" and then there is a set price list for each species you take. One good point is, you know for certain the prices and if you decide to not pull the trigger on a specific animal you don't pay for it. Generally, if you have a frank discussion with your PH BEFORE you book about your expectations and what the PH/Outfitter believes they can honestly deliver, your miles ahead of the game. Make no mistake, plains game species generally have a set territory and the PH's are in the field every day and have a pretty good idea of what animals are on the property they are taking you hunting on - especially true if it's a high-fenced property. Even on low-fence/free range areas, while the animals are free to move/roam, unless there are food/water/predator issues in a particular area, they pretty much stay within their "territory". Also, there are generally established minimum size limits for each species to be legally taken as trophies - example, Namibia 50" min for kudu and 30" for gemsbok etc.

Cull hunts can be a great value if you're just looking to spend time shooting a lot of animals and not concerned with "trophies". Cull animals are not subject to min size regulations and can't be exported. Most offering these will also allow the client to take "trophies" but, at an additional higher/standard trophy fee price. Those can be exported. Also with cull hunts, most are late season.

Funny thing is a "trophy" is in the eye of the beholder. Generally, US clients want large, symmetrical horns while a LOT of European clients will pay more for the "non-typical" bent horn or misshapen oddity. While most clients want a 40+ inch cape buffalo, some clients specifically want an old "scrum cap" bull.

Next, unless you have to book your vacation time way in advance, don't be in a hurry to book a hunt. If you can get away on 60-90days notice, wait till later in the season and pick up some seriously discounted late season unsold hunts. A lot of PH's/Outfitters operate out of "concessions" (leased hunting lands). Part of a "concession" agreement usually establishes a "quota" on how many animals of the various species can be taken. The PH/Outfitters usually have to pay the cost of the quota upfront and for every animal they don't sell/take they don't get a refund. Therefore, late in the season, lots of operators will give serious discounts trying to sell the remainder of the quota. Again, the only downside is the relatively short notice. One upside is if you book a hunt after the middle of Aug., airfares usually come down by 20-30%.

IF possible, try and book a plains game hunt around or as close to the dark of the moon as you can. PG animals tend to move/feed less during the dark of the moon and are therefore more active during the day. If hunting leopard/hyena then try to book as close to the full moon as possible.

Spot and stalk bow hunting will be difficult. Mostly due to terrain, cover and alertness/wariness of the game PLUS all the other eyeballs on you - ie. birds, baboons etc. Stalking to typical bow ranges (under 50yds) can be done but will be damn difficult. That is why you see most TV bow hunts done out of ground blinds over feed/waterholes at 30-40yds. Don't get me wrong, I've been able to get within 30yds of gemsbok and 40yds of mountain zebra, but that was NOT the norm without getting busted by a "go away bird" or hornbill or baboons on top of a koppie 1000yds away.

My last word of advice to anyone wanting to go to Africa, no matter what country you choose is - GO AND GO NOW! Africa is changing so fast, some for the better and some...not so much. Plus, unless there is a HUGE swing in the exchange rates or economy, prices are likely to keep increasing.

Be warned - if you go once you will be infected and probably start planning your next trip before your first one is over!

Just my opinions and my experiences - yours may vary. You'll have a great time regardless.