So I have a Zeiss hd5 2-10x42 ready to go atop the 338 win mag I am having built right now for a Northern BC Horseback moose hunt I have in September this year. Knowing how tough horses can be, how remote we will be, and how much this hunt is costing, I was tossing around the idea of taking up a back up scope. I have a couple options I have tossed around, but it just seems to me less is more and I would love to not take up unnecessary items.

So here is thinking of Plan B. Sell the Zeiss, bite the bullet, and purchase a Nightforce 2.5-10X42 w/ illumination and IHR. I realize that all scopes can fail, but it seems the odds are FAR less on a top end nightforce product. The scope wouldn't really be bought with the idea of dialing and long range hunting, more of pure reliability and repeat ability with top notch glass that hedges my bets of not failing on this hunt. Thoughts? If the NF was like 1k-1200, I would have already pulled the trigger, but the model I want retails for $1950, so its a huge purchase and thus being not sure.

Last edited by Hiaring8; 02/17/17.