Originally Posted by specneeds
I just got a 25-06 for Christmas that hasn't disappointed yet, the trigger is very good and breaks at exactly 3 lbs - for $329 from Whittaker guns it is a bargain. I shot some inherited reloads and one box of unknown bullets shot a 3/4 inch group. The action was a little stiff to start but after the 20 round barrel break in it is nice and smooth and I'm expecting it will shoot quite well.

The stock is better than the Ruger or Savage plastic stocks but not as good as the new Weatherby S2 stocks. My old Howa made Vanguard in 300 Weatherby shoots lights out but it needed a Timney trigger to shoot well, both the new Vanguard and Howa 2 stage triggers are about as good as the Timney.

I put the very nice Meopta 2.5-10 on mine for a little over $300 from CameralandNY in Talley lightweight mounts and have a total of less than $750 in the rifle including a SVL adjustable handle sling. For not very much money the combination is hard to beat for an accurate reliable all around hunting set up.

I still have some work to do to find the right load for the rifle but it hits my 490 yard elk vitals rock consistently already with the mystery reloads that say they are 117 grain probably Speer or Sierra bullets with an average load of 4831 and unknown primer.

nice write up....

I've gone with a couple of Howas in 223s, the Minis, a non mini is 223, and then a Weatherby.... While I love the Hogue, unlike many others, that Vanguard 2 is my favorite of all of them...

That Weatherby Stock is why.. I love that thing, the way it fits and feels...you can get them from Weatherby for $140.. which I am thinking of picking up...for another Howa I ended up with...

also debating which 243 to let go of to replace with a Vanguard 2 in that caliber also... then I hear a 6.5 Creedmoor and a 7/08 whispering my name...( which I don't need) but they relentlessly keep whispering my name, no matter how much I tell them to shut up...and now the 240 Weatherby is doing the same thing...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez