Originally Posted by GSPfan
A std 243 is a nice find as the vast majority were featherweiateghts.

Yeah,the funny thing is the seller had two 243 1961 model 70s. He and his father had a featherweight, which he wanted to keep for sentimental reasons. This standard weight was his late uncles, the three of them hunted groundhogs together with the two guns. Glad he kept the featherweight and I got the standard!(Did not know the standard weight was less common than the featherweight until I got home and looked on line)
There was what I thought was white paint all over the buttplate. Some scraping with a toothpick and then work with a toothbrush got it off. Thought I would have to replace the buttplate. The white stuff came off much easier than even latex paint would have. I am thinking it was dried out white lithium grease. The toothpick was softer than the plastic buttplate, so it appears to be clean , no damage to the buttplate.
There are 2 to 3 scratches on the left side of the stock, very narrow and shallow, parallel to each other, 2 inches long. Probably a scrape against another gun. I have an excellent gunsmith who is Churchill trained in London. He does incredible work, and can make a stock look original with steaming . He can duplicate finishes . He works on $50k shotguns. Will have him look at it. My gunsmith use to be 2 miles from my house. He lost his lease, and is now a 15 min drive on back roads. His knowledge of German guns is extensive, as he saw a lot of them in London. I have a few cape guns and drillings, just the guy to have around.

Last edited by mariog; 02/22/17.