Originally Posted by n8dawg6
good barrel, decent low-cost action that works, good simple bedding in a complete piece of s** floppy stock. trigger feels cheap beyond cheap.

very accurate, typically more so than a hawkeye.

Actually I was able to fix the trigger on my .223 American to be very acceptable, and I'm REALLY picky about my triggers. There's a fix for them and it works, it's now about 2.5 lbs. with absolutely no creep. You need to shorten the spring from the factory length. From the factory the trigger's terrible just like most rifles, but they can be fixed easily at home.

Ruger American Trigger Fix

I wanted a 223 that was stainless, cheap, light, accurate, and twisted right. The american was the only thing that fit the bill out there, otherwise I was going to have to build it and there went the cheap part. It shoots very well and gets used all the time. I have steel gongs hung in the distance on my land and the ruger gets shot off the porch at them. It's super easy to grab it, walk out on the porch, and bang away at the gongs. I have it set up similar to my big game rifles and it makes for a great practice rifle.