Friends:

I have an old DT-10- F/S line. Not a USA line, I inherited it from family in England. Its a double taper with a sink tip at both ends. I'll be using it on a 15' Spey rod which is under construction as I write this. My objective is King Salmon in Alaska on a bucket list trip this summer while I am still above ground....

I'll guess the line is from about the 1960's- 1970's. I'd like to save this line if I can, and use it, keeping up the family tradition so to speak. I have washed the line in warm water and Dawn detergent, and dried it, so it is nice and clean.

The floating part of the line, with the heavy belly I am confident I can handle. Reason being I also inherited some fly line conditioner which is probably...err "organic" (pig fat based?)... so it will probably handle the pre-modern lines. At least that is my theory. I'm a believer in stretching a fly line so I'll stretch it, and treat it.

The problem is in the sink tip part (at both ends)which is really stiff. Perhaps it is because of what is underneath the coating. I need it to flex out a bit so it will lay straight. I've ruled out Armorall, as I have recently learned that it does no good to a line, so be it. But what to use? I don't want to lose the sinkability.

Any suggestions or comments welcomed.

Thanks in advance!

Blu_Cs

Carry what you’re willing to fight with - Mackay Sagebrush

Perfect is the enemy of good enough