I seldom buy much from RIA anymore because any Savage 22 is usually grouped with several of other makes, like this very late 1905 that I woulds have liked to have, it's a very late production with the No 25-B windage adjustable rear sight instead of the No 21 micrometer. It was actually nicer than the description suggests - .rockislandauction/detail/4475

Also they usually have very poor & limited descriptions and pictures for the regional auctions, with many guns looking worse when viewed in person.

They did lot three Savage slide actions together that I thought were very nice compared to much of the auction and what you normally will find in a regional. A Model 29, a 29-B & a 1914. I was really only interested in the first one, the Model 29 with the early three point checkering, with their description of the finish being "OC - FINE: all original parts; over 30% original finish. WW - wood is worse for the percentage finish rating given". The lot went much higher than I expected, but so had everything else that sold earlier that I had interest in... so... - rockislandauction/detail/4480

I am not good at estimating finish percentages but I think it does actually have over 30% original finish as they described... and maybe the wood is a little worse...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

The Model 29 has the the early changes for Hi-Speed ammunition with the early lifter design - (added - I still would only shoot standard velocity in any Model 29, later 29-A's & B's are different.)
[Linked Image]

I think the 29-B is from 1961, the date code is hard to read but appears to be a 16 followed by an 'M' with one leg broken off the stamp, barrel address is still Chicopee Falls but I don't know if any ever had a Westfield address -
[Linked Image]

The 1914 has had the stock completely refinish - these stocks almost always crack so I assumed I would find a repaired crack, not the case, so I do not know why someone refinished it. Even if they are cracked I would just do a little as possible to stabilize it and leave as much of the original finish on it as possible - they usually crack on the bottom of the wrist where any repairs will not be a major eye sore... like a complete refinish often ends up being. (This stock does have some tight cracks starting.) The numbers on the stock & buttplate do not match the receiver, they are 47765 and the receiver is 46765 - with only one digit different I think it's possibly just a stamping error. The buttplate is quite rusted so the gun may have been standing up and got water damage, another possible reason for the refinished stock.
[Linked Image]

Last edited by GeneB; 02/24/17. Reason: corrected 1905 sight info, added note on use of Hi-Speed

Gene