Two items not mentioned above are liner socks and toe warmers. Some years ago, my backpacking and hiking enthusiast sister-in-law told me about liner socks, generally light wicking socks worn under a heavier insulating sock. The idea is they wick away sweat and also prevent blisters. Having tried them, I agree.

This past November deer season in New York State I used toe warmers for the first time. It doesn't seem to matter how much insulation my boots have, my feet still get cold when I sit. Toe warmers cured that problem.

Another bit of gear to consider is vapor barrier socks. I have a pair but have never used them. The reason I bought them is my feet are sweaty and my socks and boots get wet after a day of walking around in the woods. The problem becomes wet boots for tomorrow's hunt. I was able to use a boot dryer this past season as we stayed in a cabin with electric power. When I hunted Colorado in 1989 and 1991, we camped in a tent. My wet boots were pretty uncomfortable in the morning! The second time out, in 1991, I switched outer socks at noon to keep my boots from getting wet inside. I also had a spare pair of boots on that trip.

NRA Endowment Life Member, G.O.A supporter