I am slightly nearsighted and have been wearing glasses for about 20 years. For most of that time, I could see perfectly at distance while wearing my glasses, and I could see perfectly up close without my glasses on. As happens to just about everyone who gets older, my up-close vision is getting worse. So, now I have to hold things farther away from my eyes to see things close-up.

I've been tying flies to entertain myself during the winter months, and I'm having a difficult time seeing what the hell I am doing. I definitely can't wear my glasses while tying, and I can no longer see clearly when seated at "normal" fly tying distance from the vise.

Would some type of cheap reading glasses help with this? I don't need magnification, I just need to be able to focus close up. How about bifocals?

I still see fine at distance with my regular glasses; I see fine at a closer distance of between about 5 feet to 20 feet with no glasses; but I can't see chit from a few inches to a couple feet. What's the solution? It seems like I have three distinct problems to overcome, and trifocals don't seem like anything I'd want to deal with.

Thanks.

Last edited by CoalCracker; 02/27/17.