Even when the Custom Shop was doing business you mostly got to choose one of two or three different "Custom" models that would be built to a standard specification of stock style, barrel profile and length but have a wider range of caliber choices than the standard offering. They were also produced to a higher standard, the actions were "honed", better wood or a McMillan Supergrade style stock with an aftermarket barrel. I bought two of them back in 2000 and they were certainly nice rifles with extremely smooth actions that fed and functioned perfectly, both would feed any bullet style you wanted or even empty cases straight into the chamber.

They would do a "custom" but that meant taking a standard option and combining it with another standard option. For instance, they would put a Featherweight stock on a standard CS sporter barreled action but they wanted $1200 above the normal cost of the custom rifle to do that, which would have totaled $3200 some 17 years ago.

Savage is the only company I know of that offered a Chinese menu of options - any stock from column a, any caliber from column B, etc. for a reasonable price but I don't know if they still do that or not.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!