Originally Posted by gnoahhh
On the other side of the squirrel tree is my German kiplauf in 5.6x35R (.22 Hornet). I shoot nothing but cast bullets through it, 55 grainers @ a bit less than 1800fps.* I think of it as a souped up .22RF Magnum. Needless to say, it knocks squirrels ass-over-tin cups. The optics I opted for is the Chinese clone of the old discontinued Redfield 3/4" 4x. I think it's actually a better scope than the Redfield was and costs 1/3-1/2 as much (when you can find the old Redfield today). The original Redfield was/is a 3/4" tube and was actually built for use on centerfires, but I suspect they were/are used mainly on .22's.

I sometimes feel handicapped by the 4x, but it serves well. I wanted a dainty scope to put on a very dainty rifle (5 pounds with scope).

[Linked Image]

* The gun has an odd bore, but fairly normal by European standards: .226 groove diameter (I use .227 diameter bullets), with a 1-9" twist. Built in 1934. Groups well under an inch at 50 yards. Longest shot taken was an even 80 paces- it splattered Mr. Squirrels brains across the log.

I asked about those "GruBee wolf pup" Chinese knockoffs of RFC, but got nothing but grief from the nice folks over there.