Mods feel free to move to the lever action board if you feel it would be more appropriate there...

Hi, my name is Will. I'm a simple blue collar guy, family man from NW Oregon. Outside of my family the outdoors is my #1 passion more specifically big game hunting (bow and rifle) and salt water fishing. Recently I've gotten into hand loading and want to give long range shooting a go. I've been on ifish dot net for a number of years and am looking to branch out. I mostly like looking at pictures and reading success stories from people's hunts. This seems like a good place to do so! If you're a member there too drop me a line so I can put the pieces together smile I'll add some more stories as time permits to the appropriate board.

Not much to this story, spring bear season on the Oregon coast. I was still hunting through a timbered draw to another clear cut and caught movement 45 yards up the hill. I drew a bead and dropped the hammer. The bear did a summersault and came down the hill straight at me! Not a charge just I was standing smack in the path of least resistance. I threw the lever as fast as I could and got two more rounds off, both landed, before the bear crumpled from a spine shot less than 5 paces-close enough to need to change my shorts lol!!! Not the biggest bear in the world but the trophy values lies in the fact I used my great grandfathers rifle smile

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

We had this picture on our mantel when I was a kid but when my dad moved this picture went MIA... I was visiting my great aunt (this guy's daughter) a while back and saw this tucked away in a corner! This is my great grandfather, a Czech immigrant who learned English during primary school here in the states. I think he only had about a 5th-6th grade education but spoke 4 languages and could play concert violin. During the depression the moved out west from N Dakota where he settled in Milton-Freewater and found work building the dams to provide for his wife and 4 daughters. Nobody living knows the exact date, other than "sometime in the 40's," he headed up the Blue Mountains to find some meat for the table and came home with this stud bull. That model 94 chambered in ".30 WCF" now lives in my safe and shoots just as well today as it did then. I'm the 3rd male with the same first name in 4 generations to get blood on that gun. I can't wait to pass it down to my kids someday!

[Linked Image]

"When the last deer disappears into the morning mist, When the last elk vanishes from the hills, When the last buffalo falls on the plains, I will hunt mice for I am a hunter and I must have my freedom." Chief Joseph