I know what you're getting at, however I would venture there is maybe a bit more to it all than that. We both know that at times a hot two year old gobbler would respond to the shrills of a beagle caught in a fence or a rusty gate swinging in the breeze. Some calls definitely sound better than others. Do you always need a refined call? No, but it never actually hurts your success. There's also pride in ownership. For some guys they could care less and a blister packaged Walmart call is good enough. Other folks appreciate craftsmanship. The same thing applies to guns, knives, clothing, ect. For sure if a feller wanted, a few $6 dollar mouth diaphragms are all the calls actually needed. I like and use mouth calls but I really enjoy working a nice friction call. So I have some well crafted friction calls that make me happy. If a box store call works for the guy on the other ridge, more power to him. As long as we're both happy, what's the harm?

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.