Arrrrrrg!!! A .35 Win. in a 1895!! I'd give my left testicle for one of those. Heck, at my age, I'd give BOTH!😖

Haven't hunted elk in eons but have killed upwards of a dozen Bullwinkles with 250 Hot-Cors. Launch them at about 2445 fps. from my 22" barreled A-Bolt .35 Whelen and they typically result in an immediately dead moose.

Only recovered one bullet. That was from a bull that was galloping straight away across a muskeg and rapidly vanishing into the thick early morning fog. A desperate snap shot at about 60 yds. folded him like a mallard taking a full charge of #2's and he went down in a spectacular splash of wet snow & swamp water. The bullet had struck the left hip about 4" from from the anus, smashed the pelvis, ploughed through a couple of feet of intestines and stomach contents (yuck😝) and came to rest just behind the right front leg. The core and jacket were totally mushed up like a wad of bubble gum but still were together. IIRC, it still weighed about 170 grains.

If the 250 H-C can perform like this on a moose, similar results could be expected with elk.

Last edited by Bobber257; 03/14/17.

What man, on his death bed, ever lamented, "God, I wish I had spent more time at the office."