in the fact as to the WHY many people who wish to shoot farther than 100 yards wish to make it difficult as if by magic they don't know the voodoo words to make it happen! The real challenge as a matter of fact is that of finding a place to shoot for the wannabe long shooters! The guys that live west of the Big River usually don't have this problem but east of the Big Muddy...another story! Marksmanship comes down basically to just a few things:

1. Position

2. Sight Alignment

3. Trigger Control

4. Follow through

5. Mental attitude

For the previous 60 years I've taught marksmanship to many people...a few have gone on to be able to bring home a little junk from shooting matches. Most all of these guys were either competing in Service Rifle events and a few eventually changed over to the NRA Match Rifle category. Teaching iron sights and scopes are basically two different ballgames but the same rules apply to both.

An accurate rifle with proven ammo is a must and generally the term 'proven ammo' means a handload that has been tested to give the best accuracy possible. Factory ammo can be accurate but as a general rule each rifle will perform best with a specific load. Whether or not someone wishes to spend $4000.00 for an accurate rifle is up to the individual but the fact remains that $$$$$ won't automatically make a consistently accurate shooter at the longer distances! It takes a lot of shooting and paying attention to detail.

In five days I'll be 77 years old and starting as a young man of 18 I was fortunate to have had the best marksmanship instructors in the world; the Service Rifle coaches at the USAAMU at Ft. Benning, Georgia! I'm typing this little piece because if possible it's my desire to give something back to any younger folks that might find it useful. I don't need any atta boys or thank yous from anyone. I've won lots of junk over the years I competed; beat some of the best and had my azz beaten quite regular as well! No matter how good you may think you are....there's always somebody that will beat your azz! You'll have good days and days...not so good! It's how you handle those 'not so good' days that's important! If you're serious about shooting...it becomes work. But like sweat....it can be very rewarding!

Being very fortunate I don't have to worry about a place to shoot. My 1000 yard firing line is right out the back door. Old habits are hard to break and by that I mean that I was taught to keep and accurate DATA BOOK! I record everything as per whatever day I'm shooting on. Zeros, wind, time of day, sun position, Barometric Pressure, temperature, starting zeros, finishing zero if different, and then I critique my shooting session...and I have been known to talk pretty badly about myself! Nothing pizzes me off more than to make a bad wind call on my first shot! No matter how much you shoot or how many years on the line....the wind is gonna beat you from time to time! Accept it...or take up bowling! Here's something to think about:

"WINNERS EXPECT IT.....LOSERS HOPE FOR IT!"

I fired seven rounds this afternoon with my 308 Winchester from 800 yards. Load was 47 grs. Varget using a Sierra 155 gr. Palma bullets with a F210 match primer.

[Linked Image]308 Winchester by Sharps Man, on Flickr

[Linked Image]Untitled by Sharps Man, on Flickr

Rifle is a Remington M700 with factory heavy barrel which I put into VS stock and bedded.

Last edited by Sharpsman; 03/20/17.

Even birds know not to land downwind!