Well, maybe, I'm a bit doggy.. Generally they are about a half step ahead of me. At that, I read them better than I do people. Not to be confused with people who actually understand and train them.

After 7 years here, I haven't a clue to most of the neighbor's (within 3 blocks) names (I've been introduced) here in Kotz, but I know their dogs' names. And most (not one, tho) of them have offered to let me walk their dogs on leash. Some off leash out of town.

Except for Rex, I don't.

No need to clutter my old brain with extraneous information like people's names...I can live with that. smile

A couple months ago I was dropping my wife off at the air terminal, and there was this big Lab running around inside- scaring some people (Some Eskimos fear dogs- having experience only with "sled-dogs", usually kept chained and not well acclimated to strangers, i.e. defensive of their space - the length of their chains.)

"Rex- come with me". We went 4 blocks home, Rex at heel, uncommanded. He is my next door neighbor's dog, and we have an understanding. We adore each other. He's a smart bugger too- and vastly undertrained/appreciated.

You know how confined dogs will resist re-confinement? Sometimes when Rex is loose unsupervised, I'll go over , unkink his chain, and call him over. He ill think about it for a few seconds, then slink over, head down, and let me put his collar back on. That's a DOG! He is of configuration that collars short of a chain collar, doesn't fit well... so he slips it often.

He growled at me the first time I met him. 3 milk bones later we were fast buddies. He got to the point that when my Lab (now deceased) stole his bones, he wouldn't object. He would just look at me and grumph- knowing I'd get it back for him.

One day when my wife was taking our Lab out for a walk, she had the dog on leash, doors opened, when she went back for her gloves or scarf or something. She started to yell at Tripper Lab for pointing the milk bone box, when she realized the leash was going out the doors.

I have no idea how Rex knew where the milk bone box was kept...... smile

If Cris ever wants to let him go.....

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.