Originally Posted by Mannlicher
my 1988 4Runner has the 22 RE engine, and an automatic 4X4 transmission.
I had to replace the MAF sensor recently, and the throttle body coolant temp sensor. Back to running fine. Somewhere around 400K on the engine.
What I have problems with are little electrical things. Right now, I have to replace the entire tailgate window regulator because of a broken nylon roller that is not available. Heck, the entire assembly is discontinued, and according to Toyota, not a factory assembly in America. Ordered a unit pulled out of a wreck.
I have two switches on the console that are broken, and not available. The MAF and coolant sensors are also discontinued.
The engine might work forever, but the little parts are killing me.

This "no longer available" business is a bad state of affairs, for otherwise long lived designs.
I make a LOT of Delrin replacement parts for these doggone "remote activated" accessories, ....window regulators being right at the top of the pile.
Retro fitment of alternate switch gear components gets no easier,...old caches of WW2 / Korean war vintage radio parts and B29 style electrical components are drying up, to.
Those of us who actually know the potential lifespan of a Bakelite and NiChrome / Copper switch will all be gone soon enough, and this "throwaway parts" strategy may very well win the day.

Fine looking internals there, Seafire !
...oil IS cheaper than parts.

GTC

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain