I see folks post about the "backwards" safety and wonder why. If someone is confounded by it I wonder if they really should even be using a firearm. The "backwards" safety fire position is as intuitive as pulling back the hammer on an exposed hammer rifle such as a Winchester/Marlin lever gun, or a Colt single action.

To the CZ's credit their safety is a firing pin blocking safety, not a sear block safety which is more unreliable. I do not see it as an issue, particularly on a rimfire. I rarely rely on a safety anyway, if I have a round in the chamber I have the bolt forward and the bolt handle up - if I am going to take a shot I push the bolt handle down with my thumb as I am shouldering the rifle. It is not like we are dangerous game hunting here.

As far as the magazine hanging down - your beloved 541's are one of the worse offenders of this, not only that but they have a protruding magazine release that sometimes inadvertently releases and the magazine is dropped. However the CZ rimfires have a much more secure magazine release and I am unaware of that happening with them.

Personally I own both and all I am saying is that you are making both items into a bigger deal than they really are.

drover

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.