Thanks Guys.

kaywoodie....you should not ever let such thoughts cross your mind. You can do the same. The secret to getting better is to never think you can't do something. Sure, when you do try work at the next higher level, you may not do it perfectly the 1st try. So what?
It will be better every time you do it and soon you need to set the bar even higher.
If I ever feel like I have "arrived" in my gunsmithing I'll quit doing it. If there is no longer a level for me to reach for, I will feel like there is no longer a reason to keep trying. That's what keeps us going and keeps us young.

(well....younger than if we give up anyway)

I was 12 years old when I made my 1st rifle and 14 years old when I made my 1st muzzleloader.

At 12 I did a hand made thumbhole stocked 270 on a Mauser. It's on it's 3rd barrel now. I don't show it off much because I have come a long way from those days, but when I was a high school kid my dad used to show it off to everyone. He was more proud of me for doing it then I think I was. He's tell all his buddies "My son made this when he was just 12. The inletting is good and tight and the shaping of the stock is still nicer than what I see offered by anyone today.

When I started the project every one said building a gun was a project for a real expert, and no 12 year old kid could do it. To be honest, my dad didn't think I could either, but didn't want to discourage me, so he gave me his blessing and thought any work I did would help me learn even when I failed.

I didn't fail.

So I like to tell that story to other folks that think they can't do something. YOU CAN!

God made man in His own image. God is the creator.
That means a man made in the image of God has the creative quality inside him. He just needs to bring it out. Never doubt it.
Never let your past limit your attempts in the now, or in the future.
Every great man that ever lived was "just one man." A man made in the image of God. But those that do are those that think they will gain by going beyond their current level.

Pick one you like and make it. You may never get to the level you want to be at (I am not....yet) but by not listening to the voice that says "you can't"....you will! You will get better and better.

Call me if you want to talk and I am always happy to advise and give tips as much as I know how.

If I light your candle with my candle, it doesn't diminish the light of my candle, but does bring more light on the subject.

Only petty small minded men with very limited abilities ever try to keep these things secret, and try to insult the work of others. There are plenty of them out there, with quite a few who are members of this forum. They are men of low moral fiber and not to be listened to. Never doubt yourself and don't give room for the negative speakers to make you think the Emperor has beautiful clothing, and only they really understand that clothing. They are trying to be thought of as experts, and the centers of attention.
But the Emperor is naked!

We are all just men. But as men we can do far more than some would have us believe.

Evil says "give up". You are too insignificant.

Righteousness says "Get better. Be better. Keep trying. Share blessings with others. Leave this word better than you found it, even if only a small amount."

Ok,,,,I'm off my soap box now.

Happy hunting and shooting.

Last edited by szihn; 03/28/17.