I noticed the latest data on reloading for the 5.7X28 round included some fascinating data for AA #7 powder. The start load gives the 40 gr. Sierra Hornet bullet over 1900 fps..... The top load generates over 2000 fps. Hmmm.
Handguns, particularly semi automatic pistols, aren't nearly as tough as almost all our rifles these days. While some of the revolvers out there are exceptionally tough, think Ruger Red Hawk and Smith's big .460/.500 S&W guns, they are the exception rather than the rule.
So, out came the AA#7, and my 40 gr. & .45 gr. SRA Hornet bullets. Brand new cases. I pulled the bullets on some factory rounds. No triming, washing or heavy resizing for me. Not with something this touchy. You work up loads by .1 gr. increases, etc.
Long story short is that both starting loads were too hot in my gun. Yes I was very careful to use the proper COL. Weighed each power charge. Loaded them one at a time, etc.
Got some catered primers and at least one leaking primer with each starting load......
Going to reduce the starting loads and try again. E

Last edited by Oheremicus; 03/29/17.