When I was but a lad, back in the '60's, this was a project. I bought an old Egyptian .43 Roller, got a 45-70 kit from Numrich Arms. The kit included everything but the action. I head spaced it with a big bastard file, used the farm vice with a piece of leather to pad the action, used leather to pad a Crescent wrench. Octagonal barrel lends itself to such treatment... smile

Worked well. I helped a friend set up bluing tanks, polished and blued the action. I cast a few wheel weight bullets, loaded some ammo. I was sitting on the back steps at home, a bird lit on a gate around 20 yds. away. I took careful aim and fired. The bird flew, but that big ole slug hit the gate. It was one of those wire gates with a pipe frame. Well that top pipe suddenly had a new bendable joint... shocked

Dad wasn't too happy, asked what I was going to do about it. In typical teenage smartazz fashion, I replied, "I'm going to elevate the rear sight two clicks". All the old man could do was try to hide a grin. Never heard anything else about the gate.

All that had to have been pretty cheap, or I wouldn't have been able to afforded it. It took big sacks of pecans to produce a few bucks for gun and ammo money.

It actually shoots pretty good, weighs 10#, 10 oz. Packs like a piece of railroad iron, but it doesn't kick that bad.

DF

[Linked Image]