Preface: I'm an old fart bumping eighty. I have aged into a candy. I have a pacemaker and am on the requisite blood thinners. Although shooting a heavy target loaded 20 or 12 doesn't hurt to shoot, both bruise me up rather ugly (remember the blood thinners). I have used a model 42 .410 to open the last two dove seasons. I have had a ball, but I need to keep shots around 20-25 yards for best results. Sometimes the dove don't cooperate.

I have been considering a nice 28 gauge, then I ran across the short shot shells option. I have my favorite early sixties Browning Pigeon Grade 20 choked IC/M and a Beretta 687 SP IV with multiple screw in chokes in 12 gauge. Either of these two should handle the light, short loads easily. I understand that the several pumps and semi autos that I have will not do so.

Although the Beretta would be a pussycat with the 2 1/2" loads, I'm thinking more along the idea of the Browning. I love that gun! Made in '62 the chokes were made for fiber wads. It is a bit tighter than later guns made for plastic wads. I'm thinking the gun could benefit from the 2" spreader loads at .28 gauge horsepower. I really do not want to pad this gun. I intend to leave it as is to my granddaughter, who shows indications of being a 6' lady at maturity.

All this to get here. Have you or any of yout friends used the short shells, either gauge, for either targets or hunting. Your input will be appreciated. A flat or two will be a great deal cheaper than a new gun, BUT ONLY IF THEY WORK. Ps. Both guns have 3" chambers. I understand frequent chamber cleaning. I normally use 2 3/4 shells in both.

THANKS,

Jack

"Do not blame Caesar, blame the people...who have...rejoiced in their loss of freedom....Blame the people who hail him when he speaks of the 'new, wonderful, good, society'...to mean ,..living fatly at the expense of the industrious." Cicero