My family moved to Canada (northern BC) from Wyoming, via Idaho, in 1957. At that time, there was a noticeable difference when you crossed the border; a difference which was magnified as you went further north. Today, North American society is much more similar. This is undoubtedly due to communication media.
It sometimes seems as if the two countries are diverging somewhat more in recent years so that the societies are superficially similar but with some real cultural differences. The US seems to be becoming more and more isolationist while it seems as if Canada often struggles to differentiate itself from the US. By the way, it often seems that Canada is desperate to shed itself of any British heritage as well (I LIKED the Red Ensign). In fact, I sometimes feel it has been the void created by the discarding of British heritage which aided the absorption of US culture.
I am an American and a Canadian and as such, occasionally suffer from a bit of identity confusion and often consider myself to be just a Westerner. So it is that I mourn the loss of the west as it was as population increases and urban sprawl takes over.
All in all, society has changed so much in both countries over the last sixty years that it is difficult to grasp. At some point in the future, history will show which country dealt with the changes best.
I have always felt considerable pride in my adopted country and today, I am well content to anticipate living out my days on the northern side of the border. GD

Last edited by greydog; 04/01/17.