I like to use the best tool for the job, within reason. In our "bigger is always better" culture it is difficult for many people to analyze this objectively. Here's my choices.

I have binoculars of 6x, 7x, 8.5x , and 10x, and I hunt in all kinds of terrain and all kinds of conditions. Each binocular has its strong points. Small low power binos don't perform well at great distances or in low light but but a big 10x pair is often too much of a good thing.

My little Minox 6x32 binos are wonderful in the bush. Quick, forgiving of eye position and easy to use one handed and waterproof and indestructible.

The B&L 7x26's are just plain handy. Tiny, light and good for many casual viewing jobs. They go with me everywhere when I don't even know i'll want a binocular. Not waterproof but eye glass compatible, even sunglasses.

I also have 10x52's and 10x42's. The big Minox 10x52's are great for low light and from tree stands and spotting from the truck. They'd wear you out if worn all day while walking. The Steiner 10x42's are a fairly lightweight & powerful choice for mountain and open plains hunts in bright light and at far distances. They are not as capable as the 10x52 or 8.5x42 at dawn and dusk.

If I only had one pair, i'd pick my Swarovski 8.5x42's - very good for everything and excellent for most situations.

Last edited by castnblast; 04/02/17.