Originally Posted by guyotrd
My son and I just applied for our tags for cows in Fossil Ridge Wilderness CO (near Gunnison) for 3rd season next year. The shots all seem to be between 225 yds and 400yds where the guides take us - due to the terrain in the mountains.

On the previous 3 hunts (only 1 successful) he used my Browing A Bolt 7Mag.

This year I bought a POF P308 (Piston AR-10) with a 16.5 barrel and a Thunderbeast suppressor. While I realize this is not a great choice for the application as the 308 is pushing the limits at this distance, I was thinking he would use this gun this year because he is willing to practice with it far more because reduced recoil, reduced muzzle blast/sound and the coolness factor.

It shoots 178 grain Hornady ELD-X's to 1 in groups and I called them and they told me that this was their best option due to it opening at slower speeds and the BC at long range. The Nosler Long Range AB also have higher velocity but they are not shipping yet. I could also handload CFE 223 to fairly hot loads with SGK's.

I would greatly appreciate advice as to whether to proceed with this plan for have him to shoot the 7Mag. He is 19 and in college.

Thank You

While most, if not all the elk I've taken could have been taken cleanly with a .308, a short-barreled/low-velocity AR10 would be low on my list for an elk hunt.

Have your son use plugs AND muffs when practicing. Recoil can be tamed using a shoulder pad and/or a good pad on the stock.

If your son doesn't like the recoil of the 7mm RM, a .25-06, 6.5 Creedmoor, .260 Rem, 7mm-08 or .280 might be a viable option.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.