I have glass bedded over 250 rifles, but only three pre-64's. The first two (shooters, not collectible) I full length bedded the barrel and action and turned them in to half iinch or better rifles. My most recent one is a standard weight 270 that has been "two grouping" since the day I received it. I shoot four or five shot groups when working up loads and it'll shoot two into one half inch group and the other two or three shots clustered into a half inch, two or three inches away. I then full length glass bedded the barrel and action but it still shot the same. This happens regardless of load work up...all groups are patterened similarly.

I used a good Leupold Vari X III and thinking it might be the scope, I replaced it with a Swarovski....still two grouping.

I am aware of the forend screw and how it can screw things up. I took it out and groups improved slightly....but not much really.

Does free floating tend work better on pre-64's? I might consider relieving the barrel channel to see what happens. I'm at a loss on this.

Any suggestions?

Last edited by Godogs57; 04/13/17.

You only live once, but...if you do it right, once is enough.