John:

You've written another very informative article.

I do have a question, though: you mention these (as well as other) cartridges are very efficient because of advances in powder, bullet design, etc. I know that there are many variables in this, but for a "regular" hunting bullet (i.e, C&C), what do you think is the minimal IMPACT velocity (not muzzle velocity) for a regular C&C to expand the way it should? As I said, I know jacket thickness and design, hardness, etc. all come into play, but just in general. I'm always reading about bullets either "blowing up" on impact or "penciling through," so there must be an impact window, with a top and bottom, at which C&Cs perform the way they should. I'm wondering about the bottom.

Again, thanks for another great article. This is the last weekend of spring gobbler season for us, so for those heading to the piney woods, good luck!

RM

"An archer sees how far he can be from a target and still hit it, a bowhunter sees how close he can get before he shoots." It is certainly easy to use that same line of thinking with firearms. -- Unknown