Originally Posted by smithrjd
Hoping all goes well. Doc told me I'm a candidate, left knee is shot.. Also said at 63 perhaps too young as they last on average 15 years. Went the expensive route for now, Stem cell injections. Not covered by my insurance $1600.. It has helped, but still not anything close to what it was before. Will see and might be sooner than later on the replacement. I know the ORTHO is going to say more Stem cell shots.. The knee replacement is covered by insurance. It is truly sucking to start getting old.

I didn't think age was that much a factor, anymore. I had both mine done in March of 2006, and I was only 52. My local Orthopedic guy was putting me off, saying I had to wait until I was older. So I went to Dartmouth-Hitchcock in NH, and the guy there said I had the knees of someone 75. He said the parts of the artificial knees (at least back then) are replaceable, and it's not like you need total replacements when they start to wear out. You need to do some research on Orthopedics outside your immediate area. I can't imagine that anyone now would say 63 is too young? Good luck to you.