I just got back from a bonefishing trip in the Bahamas. It was a lodge that I had never visited before, but it was recommended by some friends. I had a very nice time and left a very generous tip. I had an idea what I was going to give, but I asked a few other guests what they were planning to leave. I got a pretty wide assortment of answers, especially from two German guests. I think this is something that is a lot bigger issue for us, than for the recipients of the tip. I have a feeling that they're happy to get just about anything.

This is not quite the same thing, but I read a funny magazine article about giving gifts to your girlfriend with the title, "Give her everything, or give her nothing, in the end it doesn't really matter". The point was basically, if she thinks you're a jerk, the size of the gift isn't going to change that. If she thinks you're terrific, again the size of gift isn't really going to change that, so in end, give her everything or give her nothing, it doesn't really matter. Or, another way of looking at is that the size of the gift really only matters to you.

I have a hard time believing that if you were a jerk in camp, that the large tip you leave would make up for it. All they'll remember is that they were happy to see you go. I think people appreciate receiving something, but I don't think that the US concept of tipping is the world standard. Maybe a reasonable amount would be 10%-15% of the daily rate at the end of the trip.

Last edited by TomSmith; 05/05/17.