Finally got out for a little fly- fishing in a nearby stream. XXXX Creek is a small stream in the Gila Wilderness. The approach to the stream gives the casual observer no idea that several miles back into the wilderness lie wild trout. More amazing is that these fish made it through a nasty wildifire in 2012 that pretty much wiped out most of the trout streams in the area. I hiked in for a quick overnight fishing trip and caught fish after fish on foam ants and caddis flies. But in reality anything resembling food would have worked. The fish pretty much smash whatever hits the water.

The hike in. Hot 'n dry.

[Linked Image]

Typical fishing hole. A local once described fishing this creek as climbing 'miles of watery stairs'. That's about right. No trail, just hike the creek and hop the boulders. These will have 20- 30 fish and the first fish hooked with draw all the others to circle around at the thrashing. Unhook the first and keep on catching the others.

[Linked Image]

Big fish of the day. Yeah, they aren't big. But they are feisty and eager to please.

[Linked Image]

Bear sign was common, but I never saw one. Probably just missed this one.

[Linked Image]

Ready for the pack-out. Always willing.

[Linked Image]

Headin' home I was hiking with determination to beat a developing storm and I stepped over the white rock and damn near onto a blacktail rattlesnake. She was buzzin' away and my momentum carried me a bit too far. She coiled and struck but I had simultaneously converted my horizontal movement to vertical and missed the bite!
[Linked Image]

Thanks for reading and happy fishing!