Originally Posted by pacecars
What is the largest game you would feel comfortable taking with the .300 H&H Magnum? I am thinking Eland for plains game and Leopard. Would you use it on Lion?

Since I am from Africa and I have been hunting and reloading a 300H&H for a couple of years now. I feel comfortable to speak my mind about this. I have taken from vervet monkeys to one cape buffalo with this rifle. I have tested all kinds of bullets weights and designs. In the end my run of the mill is mono bullets . Such as Barnes TSX or GScustom. I will not hesitate to hunt an Eland bull( and I have) with this combination. Used to hunt with 180grn Nosler Acubond at just over 3000fs. Never had a problem on any pgame.
But that is where my comfort level will stop. The buffalo was I head shot, with old 220grn Winchester silver tips. The buf, although not ill, was a suspected carrier of corridor disease. The attending vet asked me to come and shoot it. I will try to upload a couple of kills with the good old 300 H&H.

ps. People tend to forget that that most 300 H&H utilize a 26 inch barrel. This is due to the cartridge design and powder capacity. this then tends to put the traditional H&H a fraction faster as your std 24 inch 300 wm.

I might hunt too much, but it is still not enough!