Well you certainly asked a great question and to a *very* knowledgeable and experienced pool of elk hunters and outdoorsmen.

Not to be argumentative with 22WRF, but I've not had good experience with the Schoeller "soft shell" fabrics/garments. I tried 'em when the y first came out in climbing/mountaineering garments. My experience was they did not keep melting snow from soaking me nor did they "wick" away or breathe enough to keep incidental perspiration from soaking my base layer.... Maybe they've improved over the years..?

You have good taste - that Firstlight jacket does look very good - depending, of course, on atmospherics.

A large, fail-safe shell jacket/parka and pants are a must (I have a Cabela's "Guide-Wear" and it's the closest thing to my old North Face "Guide Jacket" like Okie mentioned - it was good for what it was). For shell pants, i picked up some British "g-tex" mil-surp for cheap and it is nothing short of awesome (fully water and snow-melt proof!).

An insulated mid-layer is also important and for that i've gravitated back to wool. I love my wool vest coupled with breathable base layer long-sleeve T-shirts (again, depending on temps/wind/activity). When it's colder, i have a few select 100% wool sweaters that have been amazing on my forays into the mountains. Good quality, Irish 100% wool sweaters can be sourced on eBay. You can spend anywhere from $35 for a "previously owned" (I have several like this that look like new) or $200-$300 (or more...).

There are some amazing options available these days which requires a disciplined, bias-free reflection on your actual, anticipated needs.

Enjoy the search!!!