Originally Posted by Redneck
1) FIRST time the round-trip to/from Sturgis did NOT require the use of a spare tire..

2) FIRST time the overall ambient temp during the entire rally hovered around the 68-75F range.. Lady at the campground said she's been there for over 15 years and this was the coolest rally she's ever seen. I've been going since '92 and had not seen temps this cool overall either.. Hurts the beer sales.. laugh

3) FIRST time I had damage to the bike upon arrival at the campground. One of the (Micky Mouse) tie-downs in the camper's garage let go and the bike tipped over and the bracket that holds the LH aux. llight/signal light broke in half.. Next morning at the HD dealership in Rapid City found me first in line at the parts desk. Back to the bike, (thank God I bring a large assortment of tools) the wife held it in place while I spliced in new wires. Remounted, all works fine, whew..

4) FIRST time I ever had damage to the camper via a Class-A motorhome that was in the process of passing me on I-90 about a dozen miles E of Rapid City when a gust of wind from the approaching storm front caused him to get pushed into the LH rear quarter. Best guess is $1K damage to mine. But his camper, upon the slight impact, broke off his RH mirror assembly and had the awning disengage and get ripped completely off from the wind and land on the freeway.. eek Cars behind him scattered like cockroaches to avoid the carnage..

Going to get a damage estimate this am and send him the bill. Very nice guy, apologized profusely, owns some cement business in IL.. The SD trooper (another VERY nice buy, btw) wrote up the report and it'll be available online in a few days.

Glad to be home. Can't wait for next year.. laugh laugh

Lee, I wish I'd have known you were there. I was, too!

2600 mile RT including farting around the area on the bikes.

We're trailering next year.

Last edited by David_Walter; 08/15/17.

“Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils.” - General John Stark.