Originally Posted by CJC73
since when do Leupolds and Zeiss Conquests have big bulky turrets?! and everyone's eyes are unique... what may be good for one may not be for another. Hence why so much discussion over brands.

Depends on your use for the scope, both the ones you listed are good scopes. Is a NF better? Absolutely! But Viper PST and HST are really good scopes, I have 3 HSTs. and PSTs are supposed to be a bit better. I like smaller glass (40 -44mm), not big bulky objective lenses which don't offer much benefit, IMO. The Vipers have 30mm tubes which give you lots of adjustment range for elevation if that's important.

You'd be good with either choice

"or the SS 3-9 which is maybe durable, has great but bulky turrets"

As you can see, I was referring to SS 3-9 having bulky turrets.

====

To the OP. As you can see, here is exactly what I was talking about. Most members will disagree with me because they prefer one-inch tubes and smaller objective size as they believe there is no benefit to the larger tubes unless you need the elevation.

So here are your choices:

1. You fall for the "lighter is better" and will build a 5lb rifle (including scope)

2. You fall for the "bigger (glass) is better" and will buy large diameter heavy scope

Either way, regardless of your choice, you will be called stupid by at least half of the members on this forum.

Edit: BTW the Leica scope I was referring to is 25.5oz and about 3oz heavier than the two Vortex scopes you currently own. So if 3oz is a deal breaker, please disregard my suggestion.

Last edited by ShakyHands; 11/29/17.