Here's a good one. Three 257 Roberts rifles showed up over the weekend at the local gun shop. All used. Just about mint Ruger 77UL, 20" barrel w/no sights, w/factory rings-$699, Rem 722 open sights but drilled and tapped for scope, 24" barrel, maybe 85%-$599, and another Rem 722, open sights, also drilled and tapped for scope, also 24" barrel-maybe 70% honest wear-$499.

Which one to buy? Owned and sold a 257 77UL in past, and have been kicking myself since - really liked the rifle. The 722's have a lot of character, however, and their actions are so smooth. Wood on all three guns good and solid - 77 just about perfect, 722's honest wear with a few scratches here and there, no cracks in tang or anything.

Leaning towards the 77 as a trim, light walking gun. but those 722's have some magic - tough to put a finger on it. Will mount a 2x7 Leupold on winner.

What to do? I'm going to go buy one in the morning, but which one? Hunt in northern MN and WI woods.

Somebody throw me a bone here - tell me what I can't outright see...I already own a very accurate 257 Browning BLR, shooting 117 Fed Premiums.

Never leave fish to find fish.