I'd like to start by saying this is the best site I've found for hunting and shooting. I've never posted mostly because most everything I needed to know has been covered! I would like to ask a question now though.

I'm from the southern tier of New York in Steuben County and have always had to hunt with slugs. I've never liked them much because of inaccuracy, weight("most" guns designed for slugs seem to be quite heavy), and recoil. I've always wanted to be able to hunt in my own state with a rifle but never thought it would be possible until last year. The bill to allow hunting with a rifle in Steuben County died right at the end of it's cycle and we had to use slugs or a muzzloader again last year. It's up for approval again this year and would love to have it approved, but a few people I talk to are opposed to it being passed.

Whenever I encounter anybody in NY that is opposed to the rifle law their main reason for opposition is safety. They all say that slugs are safer because they don't go as far. This seems to be the only reason I've heard. I have found most hunting incidents happen at close ranges or are self inflicted. I've also found while lookin at statistic that the major reason for less accidents is hunter safety programs. There are sharp drops in accidents in the years following the implementation of hunter safety courses required to get a hunting license. I've only had the chance to look at NY and PA, but would think other states have had the same results.

There are many people on this site with many years hunting experience. So, in your opinion, do you think rifles are any more dangerous than slugs and why? I feel you will see no difference and maybe even a drop in hunting accidents if anything. Thank you.