I will echo what some have said. I have been on a fair number of elk hunts, not nearly as many as some on here but still quite a few. What I'm carrying for a chambering is usually a non issue, just finding them is the main thing. Your main concern should be how capable your legs and heart are before you step foot on the mountain. Don't get me wrong, I like to discuss guns and bullets as much as most, but in reality as long as it is a reasonable chambering and you are able to shoot it reasonably well that is a box you can check off your list of things to do before your hunt. I'm going to Idaho in October and my main focus is hike, run, lift and eat right. I'm in the gym 3 maybe 4 times a week, I'm out with my pack 3 days a week and trying to run at least once( would be more if my knee would quit being a jerk). Not bragging, but on hunts where I was not prepared physically I did not enjoy them nearly as much as when I could be as mobile as I wanted. My 2cents.

MM

Edit:
But to address the original question, 140 accubond/partition driven 2800fps or there abouts will deliver dead elk with zero issues. Now get to work.

Last edited by mitchellmountain; 08/18/18.

Tell me the odds of putting grease on the same pancake? I Know they are there, well ice and house slippers. -Kawi