I have an old #4 Mk I Enfield that's been rebarreled to a version of the .35/.303 AI, which has about the same case capacity as the .358 Win., but can't be loaded as hot due to deference to the old less than bank vault strong action. It's not finished yet, because I can't find a good sporter stock for it. I have a scope mount on it and an old steel tube Weaver K3 with P&CH reticle that ought to do anything I'll want or need to do with it in the woods, I think. If I can just find a good semi-finished stock for it, it'll be my go-to rifle for the kind of closer in hunting I have now. If anyone knows who can provide me with a good sporter stock, maybe in the English style (?), I'd appreciate knowing a good source. Great American Gunstocks used to make some nice wood for the Enfields, but they were bought out, and the new company doesn't make Enfield inletted stocks any more. (sigh)

I also have an old 32 ga. SxS shotgun that fits me better than any shotgun I've ever handled, but one side is choked full cylinder, and neither barrel will throw much of a pattern at any distance. Still, it could be fun ona dove field where they're flying low and not very far out. Getting a 12-bird limit would be a LOT more challenging with it, too.

Like in many things, the rifles we come to love don't always fit the run of the mill role. I've got a blueprinted long range M-700 and dialable scope, but rifles are like puppies. Sometimes you run across one that's so ugly it's cute, or maybe they just steal your heart with the substance they have. Being a rifle looney ain't easy, but ..... it does have its rewards!