I know this is an old thread, but it was the first thing that popped up in google when I searched for my current rifle - a Browning x-bolt synthetic gray/hunter. I have one in 280 Remington. So when someone was trashing the gray stocks, just wanted to signup quick and add this...

I have had and sold, one at a time, a synthetic stocked Remington 700 ADL in 243, Marlin XL7 in 270, TC Venture in 270, Tikka T3 in 270 and Savage Axis in 270. Being long and lanky and liking to do custom camo paint jobs on these plastic stocks, I had the recoil pad off of each and every one of them. And the thickness of the stock plastic on each and everyone of them was about 1/3 the thickness of the plastic of the Browning X-bolt stock. That was a pleasant surprise when I pulled the Inflex Recoil pad off the x-bolt. Stiffer, quieter, solid plastic stock because of that extra thickness. Was also very easy to cut out a piece of black walnut on the band saw and create a spacer to increase the LOP a bit, unlike the other guns. All things considered, I rank this gray stock at the top of all sythetics I've worked with. It is also came bedded from the factory, and the gun consistently shoots MOA from a lead sled.

I personally do not care for the DuraTouch - mostly because I like to paint them (not an option with duratouch.) But I've seen and handled a couple of them. Dimensions sure look the same as the gray stocks... I'm pretty sure they are basically the same -- but with the duratouch coating added. Good stocks, either way.