I plan to get into archery hunting to take advantage of some unique Alaskan bowhunting opportunities for moose and caribou. I have shot friends' bows over the years, but never took an interest in getting my own. I have too many other hobbies, I suspect.

Anyway, I have been bow shopping for the last few weeks and doing some internet research to familiarize myself with basic archery terminology. My price range is $750 or so, for a complete package, not including arrows. I have shot a Bowtech Tomcat and a Kodiak Outdoors Bow Logic 34. Between the two, I preferred the Kodiak. I plan to head back to the archery shop and shoot a Diamond Liberty and see what Mathews has to offer in my price range. Are there any others I should consider?

Is there anything else I should know before making a bow purchase? The standard answer I seem to be getting is, "Shoot them, and buy the one you're most comfortable with." Anyone care to offer more specific advice? I don't know much about archery equipment, so I am more comfortable shopping for new bows. I wouldn't even know what to look for to assess a used bow's condition or quality.

Thanks for helping an archery rookie. smile

Thoroughly enjoying Alaska since 2001.