Originally Posted by ironbender
Is that length I posted too lo g a trip for <= 1week?

The point of course is to see things notable.

I can just drive anywhere.

My experience says yes, it's too long to accomplish and especially enjoy for that whole stretch. My experience is big parts of the Oregon Coast, basically from Newport south to the Cali border, many times. Then basically the whole length of California, multiple multiple multiple times.

Lots of good info here. Avoid 101 in the bay area during any hours near commute times. Mother in law lives just off it in the Pacifica area. Not fun.

101 south from OR/CA border has nice stretches. Jed Smith Park near Crescent City almost a must see, the Smith River is probaly one of the cleanest rivers remaining in all of Cali. Redwood NP south of there before Arcata/Eureka. Chainsaw carvers abound in Orick! There's a mansion in Eureka that's pretty cool. Built by a lumber magnate to keep his workers employed in the depression I think. South of Eureka is the town of Ferndale, Victorian architecture all around. Forgot, I think there's a logging museum in Eureka if you like that stuff.

Continuing south, take the Ave of the Giants (old 101 I think), stay the night at the Benbow Inn? Cool place. South of there turn right and take Hwy 1 south to the bay area if you can stand going slow and seeing cool coastline towns and views. Bodega Bay, Hitchcock's the Birds town. Looked similar when I was last there 20 odd years ago.

Get through San Fran area the best you can, then get back on the 1 for the slow scenic ride. Most of 101 south of there is freeway all the way to San Diego. cool thing is Pinnacles Nat Monument. Good explanation of where the Pinnacles came from................down near the LA area!!

Have fun, lot's to see and do. I've been many times and there's still new stuff for me to see.

Geno

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?