[quote=BillC_sbio]I have a couple of rifles that have their scopes mounted using Buehler Scope Bases and Rings.

Probably for many here, they're not going to be too familiar with these, but 20+ years ago, they were a highly respected small manufacturer of Rings and Bases down in the S.F. Bay Area.

They're a very "streamlined" shaped ring that are vertically split, but use an "adjustable" shim in them so there's no opening split on the top.

Anyway, because of this shim, unless a scope is almost exactly the SAME tube dia. as the next (and most aren't that close) a new shim, or rings, has be be obtained when switching scopes.

I found lots of rings and bases on e bay, but was never able to find the shims for these. Lots of Weatherby bases which are the same as Remington 700, mostly high rings, but beware the highs are really high. Lows which are rarer are about right for 40mm scope. I've got a set that is shimmed on my Model 70 from the 60's.. Shimming was done by tightening the ring on the scope with various shims in place and then measuring the bottom half of the split ring to determine the proper shim. I used to have the instructions but can't find now. The shim as far as I can tell just closed the gap at the top split ring.