Congrats. I had to go the same way due to bad shoulder joints.Put me back in the game at 67. So far I can pull the string cocker but there is a crankaroo awaiting the day when I can't.
I shoot a Parker Terminator with a 3 dot Simmons red dot. It's a real nice rig, 320 fps, pull weight of just 150 lbs, compact with an awesome trigger. The other one is an Excalibur Equinox, 350 fps but the pull weight is 225 lbs. It's a recurve so is quite simple sans cables and pullys. It's sighted with a Lumi-Zone scope: a multiple aiming point scope that adjusts trajectory with a velocity dial and has an on-demand lighted reticule. Sweeet!
It you're looking for broadheads, you may try the 1 and a 1/4" 100 gr Slick Tricks or another relatively small, 4 bladed head.
The latter is important. The shorter x bow bolts (mine are just 20") tend to plane with larger heads depending how the blades are oriented. Missed 2 bucks at < 30 yards with Thunderheads before I realized that. Plus the Slicks shoot to the same point of impact with my bows as field tips of comperable weight.So I practice with field tips knowing that the broadheads will be hitting the same spot.
If you do go mecahnical, you may need to double band them is the speed is much over 300 fps due to the intense torque of crossbow release.
BTW, I see no need to apologize for shooting a X bow.Modern compound vertical bows are quieter, as fast of faster and shoot as far or further more acurately. Due to the noise and movement needed to re-cock it's also unlikely that you'll get a second shot. Yet they tend to be spurned by the vertical boys. Go figure.